Results for the 2016 NHS staff survey are now available
Each of the 316 NHS organisations that took part in the 2016 NHS Staff Survey has a detailed feedback report of their findings. The reports include information on local changes since 2015, a benchmarked analysis of findings, and data by occupational and demographic groups.
The main and summary feedback reports are arranged by organisation type and in alphabetical order. Please use the following links.
Please note, for further information on how to interpret the feedback reports, including details of the calculations used, the benchmarking and the weighting please see the document 'Making sense of your Staff Survey data', available here.
Briefing note: Issues highlighted by the 2016 NHS Staff Survey
Detailed speadsheets showing Key Finding and question-level information for each organisation that took part in the NHS Staff Survey 2016 can be found here. Please note, the data used in these spreadsheets is unweighted and should not be used to make comparisons between organisations.
National Weighted Data
A spreadsheet containing 2015 and 2016 national and trust-type data for all 2016 questions and Key Findings, weighted to account for occupational group differences and trust size can be found here. This data matches that presented in the national briefing.
The following supporting documents provide further information on the 2016 NHS Staff Survey to help understand and contextualise the results:
- A ‘Making sense of your Staff Survey data’ document, which contains details on the calculation and usage of the Key Findings and ‘overall staff engagement’ figure, and also explains the weighting, benchmarking, and ranking of organisations that are used in the feedback reports, as well as the calculation of the question data used in the report and a reminder of the eligibility criteria for the survey. It is available to download here.
- A 'Key Finding calculations and comparability' document, which is an extract from the above 'Making Sense' document, is available to download here.
- A 'Key output summary' document, which explains each of the four key outputs from the 2016 Staff Survey and how they should be used, is available here.
- A 'Trust historical comparability' document, which identifies trusts with amended historical data or no historical comparisons for 2016, is available here.
- A 'Comparability spreadsheet' which shows which questions are considered comparable between the 2015 and 2016 Staff Surveys is available to download here.
- A 'Summary of key research findings from the NHS Staff Survey', which summarises the key research findings from the NHS Staff Survey and suggests what NHS organisations can do to learn from these, in order to create better conditions for both staff and patients, is available to download here.
Pre-Release Access List
Organisation Weighted Data
A spreadsheet containing 2015-2016 Key Finding data for each organisation that took part in the 2016 survey, along with an indication of the statistical significance of any change between the years, is available here. This data is weighted by occupational group, and matches the weighted data in the 2016 benchmark reports for each organisation.
Benchmarking Group Weighted Data
A spreadsheet containing 2016 average Key Finding scores for each benchmarking group included in the 2016 survey is available here. This data is weighted by occupational group, and matches the weighted data in the 2016 benchmark reports for each organisation.
Occupational Group Data
A spreadsheet containing 2016 Key Finding scores broken down by occupational group for each organisation that took part in the 2016 survey is available here. This data is unweighted as the occupational group weighting used in the 2016 benchmark reports does not apply when data is split by occupational group.